Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13/2010

So the results are in....I've skirted the inevitable again. Not sure how I'm doing it but I am! Waiting for yesterday's results was a little more nerve-wracking than usual. I guess this was probably due to the fact that it was my first MRI since my estimated "life expectancy". Since "D-Day" has came and went without any bad news, I've decided to wholeheartedly start pursuing things that will make things easier for me. First and foremost is trying to get my leg at least semi-functional so that I can walk for more than a block without the aggravating hip and back pain that has so far accompanied that task. Out of everything that has happened to me over the past 2+ years, I have to say that my leg has been the most discouraging and frustrating part of this journey. I'd love to be able to go for those long walks through the park or on the trails with my daughter again.

With that being said, my Neuro-Oncologist, along with my Orthotist have approved me to begin the process of testing the Bioness L300 system on my leg. In essence, what this system does is provide FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) to my leg by means of sending low-level electrical impulses to the common peroneal nerve in the leg, stimulating the muscles to lift the foot at the appropriate time while walking. The only possible obstacle may be insurance coverage, but I'll tackle that $7000 issue next week!

The Doctors still also want to investigate the use of Botox in my leg also. The downfalls to that are that it only temporarily loosens the leg muscles to decrease the tone(stiffness) and it may cause my leg to become too weak to even walk as I do now. I guess the upside to that one is that again, it would only be temporary until it wears off. Lastly, I need to start physio soon to help loosen my leg up somewhat befere atrophy sets in. Its too difficult to do at home alone unfortunately so I'll either do it in London or hopefully here in Tillsonburg at a private clinic.

Thanks for all the previous positive comments :)

'Til next time....

Ed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ed, that's great news......you will get the leg thing in order in time as well, it's so good to see how far you have come.....Stay strong and positive and STUBBORN....IT OBVIOUSLY IS WORKING !!!
Di

Larry & Denice said...

That's great news Ed. Keep making plans.... a positive outlook always helps the body. Although you may not see a comment rest assured we read your blog (s). Continue to keep us all up to date.

Anonymous said...

Great News to hear Ed! I am glad you are doing well and keep up with that positive outlook on life. You are one strong man with a heart of gold:) Thinking of you always.
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

The angels are with you. I admire you as being one of the strongest friends I know.

The strength of the human mind to survive is most powerful.

Love and prayers

Ralph and Bev

Anonymous said...

Ed - your courage and resilience are an inspiration! That leg should be easy to tackle after all you've battled through - good luck!

Rebecca