Total Pageviews

Friday, January 9, 2009

MRI Results

Well, this is one of very few times you will hear me say that I am GLAD I was wrong!! Today's results showed no positive tumour growth in the brain. I got to view the MRI scans and did not notice any "mass" growing either.

A few things that did catch the attention of my Oncologist were that there is still swelling around the brain where the last resection was done. He will be scheduling me an appointment to see my Neurosurgeon to review that as well as the small hole that remains in my skin. This hole is allowing water and God knows what else to get in and out of my head, leaving me susceptible to infection and/or the possibility of more surgery to clean it out. They want me to remain on the steroids for now to continue to fight the brain swelling but have introduced another weaning schedule to try and get me off of them (or at least to a lower dosage to minimize side effects)

The Doc also said that with me going back on the steroid, that it could have raised my awareness of my left arm numbness and motor control since the headaches were being taken care of by the steroid.

The MRI showed substantial scar tissue which could also be pressuring against the Motor Strip causing the left arm issues.

Overall, the Oncologist was satisfied with the results but now since I have recovered 99% from the surgery, he wants to perform an MRI every 3 months. As we've discussed earlier, this type of terminal cancer cannot always be detected when the cells are so small until the begin to form a cluster. I am by no means out of the woods but at least know that I am so far beating the odds :)

All this being said....I'll now breathe a little easier until the next MRI and I'll be doing some re-organization within my own life soon. I'll be moving to St.Thomas during Feb and Mar and am looking to get away somewhere warm and peaceful for a week or two in the very near future just to re-group and analyze where I'm at in my life and where I want to be going forward. Yeah, I know...it sounds pretty deep eh! lol But really, it is!

Thank you to all who have posted thier comments and well-wishes on here as well as through other means. Its positive support like yours that makes this challenge of mine, a lot easier to deal with every day.

With true sincerity,

Ed

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Great News Ed... I am so happy that you were wrong. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and our prayers...

Anonymous said...

Praise God. Prayers unceasing. Love Donna

Anonymous said...

remember "doctor ed" no self diagnosing! (sp) Glad you were wrong. Hope your move goes smoothly, and you enjoy a vacation away. I'm glad to hear that you will be taking some time for yourself...you deserve it.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

I love starting my day off with good news! I am so happy for you Ed. .. I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers daily...

Anonymous said...

i knew it but you had to find that out for yourself! great news my freind! keep on keepin on! doe xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ed ...What a wonderful early birthday present..
Love Shirl..

Anonymous said...

Great news Doctor Ed...good job you went for that second opinion. Peg Myall

Anonymous said...

OMG!!What great news Ed!!Our days are filled with thoughts and prayers for you. I am smiling big right now and know you must be too.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD! I will pray for continued healing :)

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Awesome News Ed. Glad things are going better ! Prayers can be answered !!! Talk to you soon !!

Lisa M

Anonymous said...

Well Gees Ed I never thought I'd see the day you were wrong, and better yet, have to admit it!!! Love it! Keep up the fight you are winning! Love Theresa XOXO

Anonymous said...

I very pleased to read of your positive MRI results! A peaceful vacation for yourself would be very much deserved! Keep up the strong and admirable fight!
Matt Riddick

Anonymous said...

hi ed,
i am a friend of does, just read your blog and your ongoing fight with cancer. My name is laura. I send you love, light and blessings. I would strongly recommend that you seek out a healer, either a psychic healer or reiki to do some work on your bonce to help the wound to heal. Trust me it works. And they may even be able to slow the cancer from coming back. Hope i haven't been too forward for a complete stranger!!! I will say some prayers for you too.
Sending you much love and blessings.

Laura xxxx

Anonymous said...

Great News Eddie !!
Just to clarify....you had an MRI on your brain.....and the MRI showed nothing?? LOL :)
Fantastic news bud.
Check out Cuba for a relaxation place...
http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/jsp/C_Hotel_Description.jsp?codigoHotel=5877
Inexpensive and a great place to go.
RD