Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Here we go again.........

Now that Angela is on the mend, I feel the time is right to update you all on my situation......

I have known since Feb 28th that unfortunately, I have not one, but two cancerous brain tumours growing again.I chose to keep this quiet and only share the information with a few close friends until my Oncologist came up with a treatment for me. I did not want to burden the family with MORE bad news during the crisis with Angela but now that I have a treatment plan and the side effects are becoming more apparent, I felt last night was the best time (like there is a best time!) to let the family know and now, the rest of my circle of friends.

A few months ago, I noticed my usual morning headaches were lasting longer, even after take some pain relief medication for them. This has continued and gradually the headaches have become 24/7.

I had a brain scan in late October of last year which came back clean. My next scan was in early February of this year and it showed two growths. One was at the base of where they removed the last tumour and the second, larger one, is quite deep in the brain. So with this news, we did another scan in early March with a different type of contrast dye to confirm whether or not they were in fact tumours. Unfortunately, the test came back positive for brain tumours. ( There was a possibility that the growths could have been benign and/or scar tissue)

The results of the February scan showed the deep tumour to be 1.7cm and the smaller tumour was barely noticeable. After the March scan, the tumours had both grown significantly. The deep tumour had grown to 2.6cm and the smaller one had now grown to 1.6cm. With the results showing that both tumours were acting aggressively, we had to come up with a plan. There were 2 choices really.........surgery or chemo. After discussion with my Doc, it has been deemed that surgery will only be done as a last resort due to the depth of the one tumour. He had consulted with my previous surgeon at University Hospital and he said that with the depth of the tumour, just getting at it without causing more damage (i.e. total left side paralysis and/or blindness) was extremely risky.

With that being said, I have opted to go through chemo for 28 days using the oral chemo I had last time (Temodal). It didn't really work last time, but it is the best on the market and who knows, maybe my body chemistry has changed and will allow it to do the fighting this time. After the 28 days of chemo, I will follow up with the Cancer Clinic and have another MRI shortly after to see if the chemo is doing the job or not. There are other chemo treatments out there that I can try after this, although they have not had the success rate that Temodol has.

I am also to have to resign to the fact soon I think, that I will have to start taking the steroid I was prescribed also. I hate the side effects of the steroids but I guess if the brain swelling continues, I'll have no choice. So if I'm a grouchy bear over the next while, its due to the steroids and chemo :/

I asked my Oncologist what his true thoughts were on my prognosis now, given that the tumours are back. His words to me were...."well with any luck, hopefully we can keep these at bay for 6 months to a year. I obviously will take this information with a grain of salt. I beat the odds last time, and it is my intention to do it again. My biggest fear is that I am now fighting 2 tumours as opposed to 1 like last time.

I will fight the fight as I did before....but with even more determination in memory of the close friends I have lost to the cancer battle over the past couple of years.

PS: CANCER SUX!

Ed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed, stay strong....you CAN do this, you CAN knock this down again, and if you need to be grumpy you just go right ahead....but you WILL come out of this a shining star my friend !!!..xx hugs di

Anonymous said...

Damn Ed, cancer does sux. Big hug for you. So sorry for all you are going through. You have incredible strength and fortitude. God bless you as you go through this round of chemotherapy. I believe that with your positive attitude and all those praying for you that you will fight these 2 nasty buggers as well. Love Donna S.

Anonymous said...

Ed....CAN--CER---SUCKS ! !
Beat it up Eddie. If anybody can..you can.
I'm prayin for you.

Rick

Anonymous said...

love you ed! hang in there we need you! gotta keep fighting like you said for all that you have lost and all that are continuing this fight please never give up grouchy bear or not i can handle ya! big hugs doe xo

Debbie L. said...

Ed you are an inspiration to me. I have just found out my best friend of 45yrs has breast cancer, and it is very aggresive. She starts chemo May 2, I think that is when you will be done. I read your storys and it give me great strength to keep on going with her. You are so brave and the unfortunate dealings your family has had to deal with, it is amazing how you all hold up. I pray nightly for you all and so does my Grandma. She is going on 103 this October. Not sure if Shirley has told you who I am but your Mom knew my Aunt Marion Barrie and I use to be married to Morris's brother Rick. I took have been off of work for almost 4 years with neck pain. I have been having sleep issues for 3-4 months now, so I feel your pain on that one. I sleep one night, then the next 3-4 days, I may get 2-3 hours a night.......Talk about getting bitchy, not sure how anyone lives with me here. If though at any time there is anything I could do for you, please let me know, that is for all of you. How are your Mom and Dad holding up threw it all. They must be very strong willed individuals dealing with everything that has been thrown at them. I salute you all, for bravery, courage, and the love you all have for one another. Keep strong Ed, and will continue to keep reading your blogs.