Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Closer to the present!!

Hello again. There must be some significance to 4:30am in my life somewhere because there I was again today, staring at the pale blue hue of 4:30AM on my DVD/VCR. Maybe this is the time that I will get the call from someone telling me that they have this miracle cure for my cancer and that I've been chosen as the recipient!!! ;)

Ok, back to business......here I am in week 3 of my treatments. I think I'm seeing the usual effects of it now.....the sun burnt itchy head, my hair is beginning to fall out, the fatigue, and just the overall weariness of the battle. I'm still waiting for the bell to go so I can go out for recess. Surely there HAS to be a break in this, like in school, where you push and shove to get out the door, to be the first one outside to smell the fresh air after being cooped up in a class for what seemed an eternity! I want that back....to be able to smell the freedom.

Gawd, every time I think about writing something that involves my daughter, I crack. I feel like such a letdown to her right now. I know that I will remain strong until my last breath but it is so not fair for her to be denied her daddy. That's the part of this whole thing that I HATE! Dammit.
The tears are flowing now, before the sun even comes up. For that, I apologize, but at the same time, this blog is supposed to about my feelings and thoughts so here they are, good and not so good. I have been what feels like, inundated with appointments for this, appointments for that. Somewhere along the line there has to be a reprieve! (please)

I have to get my last will done soon! I, like so many others, have put this off feeling that "it can't happen to me....at least not at 40 years old!" There are so many things to prepare for....I think I need a week of solitude soon to get this accomplished.

You know, I have so many people to thank, to be grateful for etc. Everyone comes into your life for a reason. People I'd never have thought would care have shown the utmost love and kind thoughts. My mom and dad, my 4 sisters and their families.....the best!! My Cami family, you guys totally rock! That definitely includes people from the hourly and salary teams. With the love you've all shown, I've become more of a believer that there are no borders or fences when one of us is hurting. Us Cami'ites seem to always pull it together in the end, whether it comes to building cars or making the pain of a fellow worker just that little bit less painful. Unfortunately, we've all had to come to the plate many times already in 2008, but trust me, myself, George R, Heather S, Beth T, and Mike S. (RIP) as well as anyone I may have denied their name in the spotlight, appreciate it more than you will ever ever know. (yes, the spotlight thing was a joke people!) Almost 17 years now at Camiland.......you all all certainly worthy of being called "family". :)

Ok, the tears have either ran down my 40 years worth of life crevices on my face and have hit the floor or have dried up in the warmth of my home. Anyways ....onward ho!

My appointment today is a late one....1pm. That bites when you can't count on the weather up here (eh) lol Tomorrow is supposed to be stormy so I guess I'd better be up early! lol Ya, like its a stretch thinking I'm NOT gonna be up at 4am anyways?? heh heh

Don't know if I blabbed about this already, but after my visit last week with my surgeon in Steeltown, he advised me to get my NEXT surgery done during my downtime in April. I will be finished this round of treatments in late March, then I was SUPPOSED to have approx. a month to allow my body to recover before we slam it with a higher dosage of chemo. Well, you know what they say about all good plans...............

Now they want to repair the "large" herniated disc I have between C5 and C6 on my spine. Reason behind fixing this so soon is because it is pressuring against my spinal cord to the degree of about 75%. Its funny, I've seen the pictures....shouldn't this hurt??????? Anyways.....my Neurosurg. says that if I were to be involved in an accident and sustained any kind of whiplash, I'd be talking to him from a wheelchair for life. So yea, all you attractive women out there, please do not cross my path.......no whiplash remember!! lol

Ok, I've blogged enough for today. I am also on a forum on the 'net (www.cancerforum.net) that requires a few replies. This forum is more or less for people who are involved in one way or another, with cancer in thier lives.

Love ya all ;)

9 comments:

Colleen said...

As your tears flow down your face as you write, so do mine as I read. I know that you and I do not know one another as we know others in our lives but If there is one thing I do know it is this...you Ed are my big brothers dearest and closest friend and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for ALWAYS being there for him in his hour(s) of need(one to many hours for him) You are an amazing friend!
I like any parent cannot imagine having to leave a child behind. I told you the other day that I am not good when it comes to this kind of thing and always feel like I am and will say the wrong thing...but this I know...and it may be of no consolation but children are so very resilient and I know that you will do and say the right things for Faith to help her get through this.
As you know you are not alone! Stay strong!
Colleen

Stacey said...

Ed,

mmmm what do I say, I find myself drawn to comment on your blog. However what do you say. What can one say. As I was reading your daily blogs I found myself sobbing, tears flowing down my face, the feeling of sadness overwhelmed me. I admire your streagth & courage during this long drawn out process. I think that this blog is an amazing thing you have started, I think it's great for you to get your emotions & thoughts out...theraputic....I think anyhow. Not only that, but years from now, when you have kicked the CRAP out of this cancer thing, you and Faith can look back and read it. Ed keep staying positive & keep doing what your doing. My thought's and positive energy is being sent in your direction.

Cher said...

You, with your, confidence and strength is a great pick me up in my own life. I guess you could say your an icon on strength, not only to myself but to others , as well. This blog is going to be a great gift you can hand your little girl on her 18th birthday.
I'm here still thinking about ya...and jealous as old hell that you don't have to walk into that plant today...LOL.
Stay Strong!!! And remember you have more friends than you think you do, and were all here for you!!!
Cher

Tina said...

Ed..

I have been and will continue to pray for you. I will also keep your beautiful daughter, Faith, in my prayers.

Keep your head up. We're all on your side. :)

Linda Ialenti said...

Geez, if you're gonna get up so early then get your butt into work! You are a beautiful author Mr McDade. You bring out the emotion in all of us. Yup, I'm bawling. Keep sharing, we are with you every step you take.
Love ya buddy
Linda

Judy said...

Hi Ed. I'm a friend of Arlene and John McCallum. They emailed a few of us friends, asking for prayers for you and provided a link to your blog. I've read your posts so far, and just want to assure you that you will be in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, emotions, and especially your tears. I hope your blog will be of great benefit to you. I, for one, will learn a great deal from you, I'm sure.

May God bless you and your family, and give you the strength you need to get through this.

Judy

Deborah said...

Ed, although our paths crossed for a short time you are a dear and wonderful friend. You are in my thoughts everyday as well as my Dad who is 76 yrs old and as you know has grade 3 lung cancer.
Your strength and perserverance are among some of your most admired qualities, and your daughter will take pride in having you as a father. You will never be a "letdown" to her as you gave her life and love.
We all need to slow down and take the time to experience the joy and love in our lives with those we cherish most.
So press on dearest Ed, the world would be a lesser place without you in it, so don't put your coat on just yet!

Shelly McMullen said...

Ed, I am truly blessed to have a friend like you, You are stronger than you think! Keep your head up! I love you dearly! (with bitches like me on your side, there is no losing!) Please Fight with all you have and when you run out of strength, take some from the people that love YOU! xoxo

EJM68 Ed McDade said...

Grrrr.....you guys are now making ME cry again!! heh heh Thank you all for the beautiful words you've written. I will be sure to look to them for inspiration in my lower moments.

Love you all :)

Ed