Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 2, 2008

To bring the world up to speed......

Ok, so here is a brief history of whats gone on so far......

1. In early September of last year, I started having a numb feeling in my right arm. I thought nothing of it since I've worked in a factory for years and have had "issues" with tingling ever since I can remember hammering on wheel weights for days on end. A little while after this, I began to have the numb feeling in my left leg, only worse. My leg felt as if it were about 30-40% numb all the time and it would actually spasm 10 or 15 times daily.

So I put the stubborn Scotsman in me aside and figured I'd better get it checked out. First, I went to family doc (great guy that Jamie Cluett!) who referred me to a Dr. Dost in Paris Ont. After a few different tests with him, including being sent to Brantford and Woodstock for CATSCANS and MRIs, it was determined that I have a herniated disc between C5 and C6 disc in my neck.

During all this, my CT showed something on my brain. My family doctor called my on Saturday January 12th (my 40th birthday) and told me the news. Looking back, thankfully I had my daughter Faith with me that weekend and we had planned to go for dinner. Daddy was letting her take him out ;) Obviously I was in a state of shock and denial at that point but my little girl managed to get me through the weekend without putting a whole lot of thought into it.

After this news, I went to see Dr.Cluett and he made an appointment to go see a neurosurgeon at Hamilton General Hospital. (Dr.Murty) I think Jamie sent me that way instead of London because he had connections with Dr.Murty and could get me in quicker.

So off I go to Hamilton for the next couple of weeks, undergoing more MRIs and testing. During this time it was determined that I had a brain tumour. We did not know if if was benign or malignant though. That could only be determined after surgery and the mass could be sent for a final pathology report.

I underwent surgery at Hamilton General Hospital on January 23 2008. It was a 3 hour surgery and I came out of it actually feeling pretty damned good considering they had just cracked open my melon and took out a lemon sized tumour! I had alot of family and friends there to support me after the surgery. Love all you guys & gals!!!

Now the waiting game..........

Prior to all of this, my parents had booked a well-deserved 6 week trip to the Yucatan in Mexico. Of course they did not want to go and would rather have been here for me but I insisted that they go. My parents are two wonderful people who have worked hard all their lives and dammit, they deserved to go!!! So after alot of pleading and grovelling, I was able to convince them to go with one stipulation, that I would let them know if any results came in etc. I think it was a little easier for them to leave knowing I had 4 great sisters here at home who would make sure I was taken care of.

Boy, this is getting hard on the eyes and fingers!! lol

So there I waited, for what seemed like a lifetime.....waiting for this final pathology report to be returned and the results given to me. Mom and Dad left on Feb 1/2008 and I finally got the report on I believe Feb 8/2008. (thats my best guesstimate anyways) The report was bad news. I had brain cancer. And to add to that....I had one of the worst types of brain cancer. The cancer I have is called GLIOBLASTOMA GRADE 4. (ps, just Google that stuff and you'll see what its all about!) lol

In a nutshell, a Grade 4 high grade tumour does not have a good prognosis. From what I was told from the medical world and from what I investigated, people with these types of non-curable tumours live anywhere from 9 months to 5 years (and yes, there is the odd miracle thrown in there where they last a bit longer)

So yea, shock, tears, disbelief, sadness, fear, anger.........all those emotions ran rampant through my head for the next while. How could this happen to me? I've got a little girl who I have big plans for!! I loved being a Daddy. She has brought me the most joy I have ever experienced in my life! She is my life!! (ok gotta stop to clear the tears for a minute)

Ok, lets continue!! lol

So, what to do...who to tell! After what seemed an eternity of mulling the whole thing over in my head, I had to tell people. First on the list was obviously family. I called 2 of my sisters and they came and spent the night with me so that we talk,cry and laugh all in a matter of a few hours :) On Friday Feb. 8/2008, my sisters had a plan. They wanted me (and one of them for my health reasons) to fly to Mexico and tell the parents. So sure, off we went to book tickets on a Friday and leave for Mexico on the next day!! GAWD Like I need that stress! ;) We went to Mexico and I ended up telling my parents the prognosis in little bits and pieces. I wanted this to go as smoothly as possible. I even printed off alot of information I had been reading so that they could understand exactly what I was talking about. The week went as well as could be expected but I knew my parents were holding back, trying to be strong for me while I was there.

So back to snowy Canada after a week of pure warm sunshine. Damn! A couple of days later, I find out that my parents have cut their trip short and are returning to Canada. Grrrrrr That kind of upset me because like I said, they deserved this vacation!!

I'll end this blog now and try to get up to date beginning with my first treatment date (Feb 19th 2008)

Still fightin'....

Ed

1 comment:

Linda Ialenti said...

Hey Ed, I am so glad you decided to do this. Years from now when you and Faith are walking down memory lane, it will be so much easier to remember the details. It's also a great way to share information. So many people care about you and are sending you positive thoughts, you have no idea. It's also a wonderful opportunity to shine up your typing skills :-)
Love ya buddy
Linda