Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Officially Half Way Done !!!

Yay me...I can now say that I am officially half way done this first round of treatments. Boy oh boy though, it feels like the past 15 treatments have been wearing steel boxing gloves and they threw me into the ring with nothing but a pair of mittens to defend myself! I guess this was to be expected though.......no one can really prepare themselves for something life this. The first week was a daze, walking in there, listening to staff tell you a multitude of directions and things to do. I think I remembered about half of it! lol The staff at the London Regional Cancer Centre have been nothing short of amazing though. You have to have a special kind of blood in you to crawl out of bed in the morning and go face what what has already been pre-determined to be a day filled with pain, sorrow and stress. My hat will forever go off to those ladies and gentlemen.

What a sleep last night.or lack of maybe I should say! Finally got to sleep about 1:30am and up just before 5am again. I am going to ask the Dr's next week if this is considered as normal. I do know that insomnia is one of the multitude of side effects from the medications but really, come on!!!! Ugh

I have my little princess with me this weekend. She always brings a smile to me face. As with any other 6 year old, she is an active little girl and I just hope I can continue to keep up to her pace! Thank goodness, for the neighbour girl across the road!

My head still feels like a fireball from the radiation treatments. I've been doing all the things I'm supposed to....using creams etc to ease the sunburned sensation. I'm thinking I don't like that feeling knowing I've still got 15 more treatments to go! Oh well, like my dad has always said, " when you think you've got it bad, just turn on the news and listen for 10 minutes about some of the other unrest and pain going on in the world". How very true though....I remember being in Hamilton General Hospital looking across my room and seeing this 17-18 year old young man who had tubes coming and going out of his mangled body. He had been in a car accident and it did not look like his quality of life was very bright. I'd sit there and listen as his family talked to him every day with no response from him at all. Within view, there were pictures of him, his family, his pretty little girlfriend all posted on the corkboard. His life had now been altered dramatically. There was no opportunity for him to tell the people who meant the most to him that he loved them, no chance to do all the things he wanted to accomplish in life. His only function now, was to breathe. As macabre as that story sounds, it certainly made me think of my life and what I am going through. It is that young gentleman that gives me the strength everyday to keep my smile and to be able to joke around with people even knowing there may be that monster lurking in the background, waiting to pounce on me. My life is surrounded by wonderful family and friends....thats all I care about at this point.

Well, thank you once again for listening to my banter. I may have even repeated things I've said before but hey.....its a brain thing ;)

1. thankful to have such a great best friend called Al. We are always there for each other no matter what!

2. Thankful I'm not an hotdog vendor on a day like today

3. Thankful for the ability to be able to use this computer to relay my thoughts and emotions.

4. Thankful for still be healthy enough to enjoy my family, friends and most of all, my precious daughter. (dammit, and I was trying so hard to get through this one with no tears!!!)

5. Thankful that you care enough about me to be reading this right now.

Love y'all

Eduardo

2 comments:

Stacey said...

A day does not go by with me opening "The Path" what an inspiration you are to me. I sit here bawling my eye's out realizing just how precious life trully is, and saying "Stacey get your act together you just never know" It's time to let go of the past, time to forgive, time to tell the one's that I love, that I love them. You are my shining star, thank you for the "rude awakening"

Keep on truckin.....I'm sending my positive energy your way.

Luv Stacey

Tina said...

I hope you enjoy the weekend with your daughter, Ed. Children are such a ray of sunshine when the world around us is gloomy.